What Happens In Vegas …

Ends up on social media! LOL

My first Vegas trip has come and gone. This was also my first solo vacation. No friends. No family. Just me. And a king-sized bed!

I was packed Thursday night, and heading to the airport around 8:15 am Friday morning. My flight was at 11:10 am and it was relatively on-time.

I arrived to Las Vegas, found my transfer bus and was on my way to the MGM Grand! I walk into the lobby and the first impression of Vegas was just as expected … busy busy busy! There was a HUGE line to check in … it took almost an hour to get through the line! The fellow who checked me in was also Canadian and was super helpful. He gave me some pointers and “you gotta see this” ideas – but I had done so much research before hand that I had heard of and planned to see all that he suggested.

There was no Bell Boy, so I had to take my own luggage up to the room … saved me having to tip them! The room was in the Grand Tower and on the 20th floor. I had a view of the Excalibur and Tropicana. It was nice because it would be quiet … no loud pool noise!

After unpacking, I put on my sneakers and headed out on the strip … it was close to 4:30 pm or so by this time. I walked the strip and came across the restaurant Cabo Wabo which was suggested indirectly from a vlogger I follow on YouTube (Redhead Mare) and her former radio co-host. I ordered a Mai Tai and the Guacamole appetizer. They were both fantastic! I sat strip-side, in the blazing summer sun and just sizzled and people-watched!

From there, I walked more and checked out more sights … I really can’t remember specifics. Not because I was drunk, but because I saw SO much stuff! I was getting back to the resort around 7:30 pm and decided to stop by the Box Office desk to see if there were any shows that night. I hadn’t previously booked anything because I wasn’t sure on timing.

I was able to snag a ticket to Jabbawokeez which was right at the MGM Grand. It was a good show. Great dance skills. A little too much story-telling, in my opinion … could have been more dance numbers.

By the time the show was finished and I was relaxed in my room, it was closing in on 12:00 am … much past my normal 10:00 pm bedtime!

Saturday started early … I think I was up around 7:00 am or so. I had a LOT to see and do on Saturday. No time to waste! First things first … I needed to see the “Welcome to Las Vegas” sign! Quintessential tourist activity. After that, I stopped by the Harley Davidson store to see if I could find something for my stepdad. But the shirts were about $35 USD … and when you factor in exchange to CAD, they worked out to being about $44 … too much for a flipping t-shirt!

Now … in no particular order … I went to see the animals at Sigfried & Roy’s Secret Garden at the Mirage … Appollo the white lion and K2 the dolphin. I also went to the Shark Reef Aquarium at Mandalay Bay … starfish and sharks and fish. (Side note: I do not agree with wild animals being held captive … the ticket at the Mirage was free … I try to avoid paying to see beings in jail).

I went for lunch at Gordon Ramsay’s Pub & Grill at Caesar’s Palace. Truth be told – the food (sliders) were only ok. I’ve had MUCH better and memorable burgers elsewhere.

Of course I took a pic of the golden lion at the MGM Grand! And I snapped a picture of the M&M Nascar for my dad … although he’s not a Kyle Busch fan.

After lunch, I stopped at the Bellagio Conservatory and got some awesome pictures of the shrubbery!

Saturday night was the Lipshtick comedy show with Whitney Cummings – I was so excited because I LOVE her! I had a 6th row seat and got a little dolled up, just for her! I was able to grab a few really great sunset shots of the (fake) Eiffel Tower, the Paris balloon and one tower at the Venetian. Inside the Venetian was AMAZING! The ceilings are so stunning!

Sunday I spent a couple of hours at the pool. When I left to get ready for the day, it was about 11:30 am and it was already 35 degrees! I then made my way up to Fremont Street (via the Deuce, not foot!) and was a little let down when I pretty much saw the whole thing in a matter of 60 minutes. Yet I had another 4+ hours to kill (I had no idea how much time I needed on Fremont Street!)

I went to the Mob Museum and it was quite busy. I could have taken a TON of time to read every plaque and check out the detail on every display, but the crowd was annoying. I did grab a couple of cool shots … like the 1924 detail on the O’Banion funeral costs of almost $10,000! Also the (supposedly real) brick wall of the St. Valentine’s Day Massacre.

I saw a few of the old neon signs that were displayed along East Fremont Street, but I was more excited for my Neon Museum/Boneyard tour later that evening.

But since I had so much time to kill, I took the bus to the Las Vegas Premium North Outlet Mall. I really only went to check out the Gap Factory store. I love their workout clothes and wanted to see if the prices were worth it (given the exchange factor!)

Turns out, they kind of were! I ended spending about $180 USD, but saved $155 USD! I ended up with so many new tanks and some new yoga pants. Makes me SO EXCITED to get back into routine!!!

Last on Sunday night was the Neon Museum tour. It was only an hour long, and was very informative. But honestly – it was too much history and not enough “get good pictures” time. I was able to hang to the back of the 20-person tour and grab some pretty decent angles.

Monday was really chill. I didn’t do much. I already had a ticket to the Garth Brooks & Trisha Yearwood concert at 5:00 pm, so I popped down to the South Outlet to check out THEIR Gap Factory store LOL nothing different … saved spending money! I made a last-minute decision to grab a ticket to The Thunder from Down Under show at 9:00 pm. I figure the concert would be about 3 hours (letting out near 8:00 pm) giving me plenty enough time to walk to the show at 9:00 pm.

Before the concert, I grabbed some pizza from the Wolfgang Puck Restaurant at MGM. It was delicious! I saved a couple of slices for after my night outings. I also got a cool shot of the KA (Cirque) dragon at the MGM.

The opening act came on at 5:30 pm, the next around 6:00 pm, and Garth didn’t come on until 6:30 pm. That concerned me because I have been DYING to see him … but I had another show (of half-naked men) to get to!!!

Garth did a great set, Trisha did 4 songs, then Garth came back on. He’s such an awesome and amazing entertainer! Trisha looked absolutely fantastic! I decided to leave the concert early … around 8:15 pm, luckily it was right after he sang Friends In Low Places. I heard all the good song and was ok with leaving early. (Side note: ran into some concert goes at the airport and he finish the concert around 8:45 pm, so I only missed about 30 minutes!)

The Thunder was the perfect way to end my last night in Vegas! Yuuummmmmmyyyyy!!

Tuesday was time to go home. The flight was scheduled to leave at 12:40 pm, but was delayed until (estimated) 4:00 pm due to maintenance issues – they had to bring in a new/different plane. Luckily, McCarren Airport has free wifi, so I watched some Netflix and chilled. The plane finally got in the air around 4:45 pm and I was walking in my apartment door around 8:30 pm … love vacations, but love coming home!

Home 1

Tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

One thought on “What Happens In Vegas …

  1. […] I started out the summer by taking my first solo outside-of-Canada vacation to Las Vegas. That was a great vacation! You can read the blog post here. […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: